Sunday, February 20, 2011

20110220 Coincidence?

Me:               How long will it take  me to get to this hospital? ( After giving him the name)

Taxi Driver:  About 20 minutes, unless you want to take the super highway.

Me:              No, just take the slow route ( I hate superhighways)
                    I just want to know how much time I can visit with a hospital patient
                    and come back in time for my 5:00 pm class.

It was already 3:00 in the afternoon when I got into his taxi, feeling a bit apprehensive
about finding the right building, getting into the right wing and the right room.  I put my
thinking cap on the whole ride but had not come up with any idea of a suitable gift to bring
when I heard the driver's question.

Taxi Driver:    We're almost there, where do you want to get off?

Me:                How many entrances are there?

Taxi Driver:    Are you an outpatient ?

Me:               No, just visiting a patient.  Is it okay to visit empty handed?

Taxi Driver:    It is the thought that counts.

Me:                Yes, well, maybe next visit..

I can see the hospital entrance but there were no empty taxis waiting in line as there are in other hospitals,
so I asked another question before I got off.

Me:               How do I get a taxi for my return trip?

Taxi Driver:    Just call our number and tell them you're at the entrance to this building.

Me:               Thank you.... God bless you.  ( there was a prodding that I should say it and it was said
                      not without hesitation.)

I cannot thank  the very complaisant volunteer worker (in uniform) at the information desk
whose directions got me to the elevator, the floor number and the room after several turns.

My friend Grace's Mom is undergoing targeted therapy at 76.  It was not long after I got to her bedside
when another visitor came into the room.  Grace's Mom said that he's become a friend after several rides in his taxi and he's a constant visitor - I turned around - we recognized each other.  He's the one who drove me here, I told them.  We stayed a while and then Mr.Yi got a client's call from our area so he drove me back home in his taxi, to pick another client.  God indeed blessed him.... and me, all along.
        
                


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by. I would so love to read your comments.